Friday, April 02, 2010

TGIF Stations: Not Just A Remembrance

A few years back, I had the immense privilege of being the fulltime youth minister at the Community of St Mary Magdalene. One year before we attended a traditional Stations of the Cross we started to talk about what relevance that traditional reflection might have in the world that WE inhabit. 

I, for the record, have not ever been a particular FAN of this particular devotion.

So, a bunch of us gathered to reflect and converse, sharing resources and ideas from others and mixing it all into a vibrant piece that combined prayer, performance art, visual art and community engagement. (This allowed me to not be exclusively responsible for putting some "lesson" together for something I wasn't all that sure I really LIKED all that much.)

In the next few posts, I'm going to share some of our script (with the note that some of the words are definitely from other sources, and I do not have a bibliography around. D'oh.).

What I'm aware of right now:

The events recalled in the Stations of the Cross are not merely history, nor merely faith.

They go on today, too.

They are not something merely to remember, but a prophetic reminder of who we are called to be.

No comments: